Saturday, June 23, 2012

New Science Adventure

I am headed out of the country for a bit.  I've been invited to participate in the American Alpine Club sponsored Climber/Scientist program.  We'll be in the Cordillera Blanco mountain range in central Peru doing science.  I'll be collecting water samples to later analyze for metal contamination.  With some of the world's largest metal mines near these mountains, there is a fairly unique situation for non-volatile metals of anthropogenic origin being transported to high altitude systems.  This year is pilot scale and we hope to continue the work over the next few years.

I'll post periodic updates on my blog.  The American Alpine Club has some information at this page.

If you are on Facebook, you can like The American Climber Science Program and see updates from everyone.

Cheers,  Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment