Sunday, May 19, 2013

Pacific Northwest SETAC

Last month, a group of SMoCS and my lab research students went to Spokane for the regional SETAC conference.   It is always a nice experience to see a scientific conference for the first time through the eyes of students.  They start to understand what scientific professionals do, what this world is like...  This year was no exception.

There was a mining tour of the Coeur D'Alene valley on Thursday (I had to miss it because of teaching obligations, which I was SO bummed about), but the students were excited about what they had seen (they had made an agreement not to tell me how cool it was, knowing I would be disappointed that I missed it, but they were bubbling over with excitement and within 5 minutes of my arrival had already spilled the beans).  One of the students wrote a summary of the trip, which will be in the Spring/Summer 2013 regional newsletter

The lab research students did a great job with an oral presentation and 2 poster presentations.  One of the undergraduate students won "Best Undergraduate Poster" for her work on lichens as bioindicators of air pollution near train tracks.  (This student also just won an Outstanding poster award at the WWU Scholar's Week poster fair!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment